Thursday, January 16, 2014

What Do I need for a home gym? What you need to work out at home

Hey Fitness Fans,

So today we will be discussing what you really need to work out at home.

You first have to ask yourself what your goals are.  Do you want to lift weights to tone up and build bone density?  Are you looking to get stronger?  Are you looking to lose weight?  Gain cardio capacity for sports?
All these different goals will lead you to what type of equipment you should get.


  • If you are looking to get stronger and or tone up, build bone density, then you need to invest in some free weights.  Also known as dumb bells.  There are many different types of dumbbells to get, most will cost you roughly about a dollar per pound.  Another option to consider which costs considerably less is resistance bands.  Resistance bands are basically a large rubber band that creates resistance.  Simply by changing how you stand on the band while doing a bicep curl will change how much resistance you experience during the exercise.  So, most of the time you can get by with simply one or two bands compared to a set of dumbbells from 5lbs to 25lbs in five pound increments.  One thing to keep in mind with resistance training is that by building muscle you fight fat.  



  • A treadmill, elliptical, or bike are great options to increase your cardio capacity and lose weight.  These types of equipment will typically be fairly costly if you wish to have something that will last more than a year of continuous use.  I personally like the elliptical as it gets the arms and legs moving and is zero impact on the joints. I save the impact workouts for Insanity, P90X3 and T25.

  • Gym flooring is a great item to invest in.  I have had my gym flooring in my basement for about 2 years now.  Its great that I don't have to worry about denting my wood flooring with my dumbbells and I also have less stress on my joints from plyometrics. 



  • Exercise at Home DVD's are a great investment.  Hiring a personal trainer costs around $40 per session in most mid sized markets in the US.  If you work out with a trainer twice a week for two months you could have bought Insanity, P90X3 or T25 and had world class trainers in your home like Tony Horton and Shaun T.  I know you think it does not feel the same, but let me tell you that when they say go for it, you really want to because they can motivate you right through your computer screen.  I love P90X3 work out at home fitness dvdfor weight and resistance training.  I love T25 Work out at home with Shaun T for its cardio and mixed resistance training.  Both systems are very effective but distinctly different.  
http://beachbooty.net
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to see you back.  You can follow me @beachboddydaddy on Twitter and on my other blog realfitnessreviews.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment